Monday, August 18, 2008

Presentation notes

"The two videos I found on youtube inspired me with the concept of "jumping". Now "jumping' is a term I've phrased to describe the sudden outbreak of movement and destruction caused by an explosion. These are the predictable effects I've tried to show and challenge in my video. By using the 2-d grid I've created one 3-d structure separated into three levels. The top level contains small objects that broke when they were exploded. Here I aimed to show the destructive force of an explosion. In the middle level, there were a bunch of medium sized objects that when exploded, didnt break and stayed in their original position. Here I've tried to counter the predictable effect of an explosion seen in the top level where everything broke and scattered everywhere. I've tried to restrict the movement of the object. This was inspired from the youtube video that exploded a plane within a room which when exploded quickly jumped up to the ceiling and fell back down, hence, its intended movement being restricted. In the bottom level, I've tried to culminate all the aforementioned key ideas into one with larger objects. The explosions at the bottom cause the objects and debris to fly everywhere, showing destruction. Restriction is shown as the larger objects are contained within the barriers of the 2-d grid around it. Additionally, the larger objects "jump" as a result of the explosion below the grid. After doing my experiments, my idea of porosity is "the ratio of space affected by an explosion to the actual total amount of area available". In reference to what Russell mentioned about public and private space in the lecture two weeks ago, I would classify areas that are affected by an explosion as public space. This is where all the "jumping" is going on. This is where all the action is happening. Therefore, the private space would be the area that is not affected by the explosion. For example, in the middle level explosion, the objects stayed within the centre of the cube as it exploded. This area would be classified as the public space whilst the area around the objects within the cube not affected by the explosions would be the private space."

No comments: